Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Iraq

Most of you who know me well, know that I am pretty liberal when it comes to politics. And how I feel about the war in Iraq. My older brother is going over to Iraq for two years. He is in Jacksonville right now for 3 weeks for the first part of his training. He will be home for July and August and then leaves again September 1st for a month of training. He will be home one day and then is deployed on October 1st.

I am in denial right now. I don't know anyone else who has a close family member over there. I was able to shut myself off about the war and not really think about it everyday. But all that is changing. My brother has a little girl, named Samantha who is only a year old. She won't even remember him by the time he comes home. I am helping him to find a good day care for her, so that I can be on the list to pick her up. I told him that I would take pictures of her all the time and email them to him so that he knows how she is growing and changing. Plus, this is how I am dealing with the situation. I have found the one small thing to focus on.

I can't even begin to imagine how I will feel come October. For now, I am just going to find Samantha a great day care, have some family/generational photos done and pray. I am going to ask all of you to pray for my brother, Eric, to keep him safe.

Cathy

1 comment:

mama j said...

Did you get my email re: that one preschool?

Mine and D's nephew has 3 little girls under 5 and he left for Iraq in Jan. for about 18 months. It's tough--I can't imagine what his wife feels, daily. Know that your family is not alone....it just may feel like it, at times.