Monday, February 11, 2008

Palm Ball

On Saturday night we went to the Palm Ball. It was a black tie event to benefit the Sarasota Conservation Foundation.(they purchase land to make into parks, etc) We were invited by our dear friends Chopper and Krista. The weather was beautiful. I was worried because it was looking pretty grey all day.

I spent the first part of Saturday looking for a dress. I bought three dresses for this event. The third one was it. (I should mention that we had to wear green or blue) The dress was comfortable, sexy and elegant. Things you would never think of when it comes to a formal dress. Had my hair straightened (sp?) because I didn't want to deal with doing my hair.

When it came time to get dressed, Filic could not find the studs for his shirt. We haven't been to a black tie event since we moved in to this house. We looked everywhere. (I am thinking that may have ended up in the safe deposit box with my jewelry) We ended up running into the tux store at the mall to buy a new set of cufflinks and studs. While going through Dillards to get to the tux store, I passed two young girls. When they saw me, they gasped and said "She is so beautiful". I made sure to smile at them. That was me when I was a little girl. I loved to see women all dressed up, looking beautiful and glamorous. I would dream of the day when I could be that glamorous. It made my night.

The food was excellent. For apps they had baby lamb shanks, chicken with dates on a skewer, caviar, and shrimp. A very cool app that they had was this: nozzarella and a tomato on a small dropper filled with balsamic vinegar. You were to put the mozzarella and tomato in your mouth and then squeeze the balsamic vinegar into your mouth. Very cool and tasty! For dinner we had salad with goat cheese, candied walnuts, etc. The most tender tenderloin in this amazing sauce. Filic loved the way the veggies were presented. They cut baskets out of a zucchini and placed carrots and wax beans into the "basket". He asked why I don't serve him his veggies like that.

The band was awesome. It was a latin band that sang in Spanish. They played trumpets, bongos, and the coolest blue bass I have ever seen. It was music that you wanted to dance to. Filic and I were just going with the music, people were starring at us. We weren't sure if it was because that thought we were excellent dancers or the worst dancers they had ever seen! Either way, we had a great time. We talked about taking lessons so we know what to do. My problem is that I want to lead. (it's a control issue with me!) I actually took ballroom dancing lessons in high school, and I loved it.

Overall, it was a great evening. We really had a nice time. I am sure that I went into way more detail than you care to read, but I had to write it down so that when I go to do a layout for it, I will remember everything!!

Sadly, we didn't take any pictures of the two of us at the event. So here we are in our kitchen!!


And I love this look on Filic. In his tux at the end of the evening, with his bow tie untied.





Cathy

3 comments:

mama j said...

Oh, how FUN! Glad you all had a blast! and when it's been awhile since you've gone out, it makes it even MORE FUN! Great photos!

Anonymous said...

You look great! I am so glad you had a great time and you are very daring to wait to buy a dress. My luck I would never find one especially in blue or green! Green is a great color on you!
Also gald you neck is feeling better! You should try Dr.Lou for acupuncture!

Cheers!
amanda

Nikki Cleary said...

you look so pretty.
what a great dress!